Some days you just need little boost to jump start your day. Or recharge your battery in the middle of the afternoon. Or shift your thinking station to a more upbeat, jazzier track.
When I’m in a bit of a funk I grab a pen and paper and use this quick exercise to jump to a more optimistic track. It’s called the Best Future Self activity and has been shown to increase mood and well-being. It only takes a few minutes to do and will help you shift your outlook and up your happiness level. Here are the steps:
- Take about 10-15 minutes to imagine and write what you expect your life to be like 3 years from now (or 5 years).
- Imagine that everything has gone as well as it possibly could.
- You have worked hard and succeeded at accomplishing all of your life goals.
- Think of this as the realization of your life dreams. Then write what you imagined.
- Begin your paragraph with “in 3 years I am…”
When you’re done take a few minutes to reflect on what you put down. Does anything come up that tickles your mind? Can you begin to envision a new path towards your dreams and desires? Maybe today all you can do is take one step towards that expanded vision of yourself. And tomorrow another. Sometimes one step is enough.
What is your one step today?