Have you ever found yourself physically present but not mentally there? Maybe your mind is miles away thinking of tomorrow’s to-do list (a favourite of mine), or yesterday’s events, or something that happened years ago? If this happens to you a lot you are missing out on experiencing NOW moments and creating FUTURE memories.
I was recently on a hike in a beautiful forest and found my mind wandering off as I walked. I was able to catch myself and even though this happened repeatedly I was able to use the same technique to bring myself back to the present and the beautiful scenery. If you find your mind wandering off, here is quick way to come back to the present so you don’t miss out on the moments with your kids or your spouse, that important meeting conversation, the beautiful scenery right in front of you, etc.
Try this trick:
- First notice the busyness of your thoughts.
- Pick a big number. I chose 100 this time.
- Pick another number. I chose 7.
- Count back from 100 by 7. Keep going until you get too zero or you are back in the moment.
- If it gets too easy to do, switch up your numbers and repeat. Say 213 count back by 6s.
Using this trick I was able to come back to the present faster each time. I also noticed how often my mind wandered off and where it went repeatedly. This quick trick will help you refocus and come back to your life’s moment so you can experience it fully.